Applications for new services with Marlboro Electric are required to be processed in-person.
If you would like to apply for service with us, you will need to come to our office to do so. Our address is:
Marlboro Electric Cooperative, Inc.
254 Highway 15-401 Bypass E.
Bennettsville, SC 29512
Keep in mind:
- The application process includes specific requirements and information. At the time of applying for service, applicants are required to pay a membership fee, connect fee, security deposit, and any outstanding debt with MEC.
- Marlboro Electric Cooperative will not connect service unless the home or business meets electrical codes and breakers are turned OFF.
- Homes and businesses are individually and separately metered, so it is important we are notified of all large appliance/equipment installations, just in case your service needs upgrading.
If you are ready to apply for new service, please stop by our office to begin the process.
If you have any questions regarding the application process before you come in, please do not hesitate to Contact Us.
Marlboro Electric welcomes you into the cooperative family! Find out all the perks of being a member by exploring our website.
What should I bring with me?
When you come in our office to apply, you should bring the following items with you:
- Driver's License or picture ID
- Social Security Number of all applicants
- Home, work, and/or cell phone numbers
- E-mail address
- Service address (the address of the location that needs service)
- Mailing address (the address where you want your mail to be sent)
- Meter number (helpful if it's an existing service) *optional*
- Location of Property
- Proper Permits (contact you local county or city authorities for specific electrical building codes)
We appreciate you being prepared as you come in to apply for service so that we can ensure the application process runs as smoothly as possible for you!
As with any new service, there are certain fees associated that are necessary to complete the work.
Please read over our list of one-time and occasional fees before you apply in order to be prepared for charges and fees required of you.
|Membership fee (one-time)||$5.00|
|Same-day connection (upon request)||$45.00|
|Next-day connection (upon request)||$25.00|
|Return payment charges (each)||$40.00|
|Cut seal or diversion of power (meter tampering)||$350.00|
Other possible charges include:
- A security deposit may be required. This is based on a credit check.
- Any previous outstanding debt with MEC must be paid. In some cases, connection fees may be considered debt and must be paid.
- Future charges will be applied to your account when necessary.
- Meter tampering may result in prosecution as well as the required fees.
*Please note that charges and fees are subject to change.The policies, regulations, procedures and fees listed on marlboroelectric.coop or any of the printed materials distributed by Marlboro Electric Cooperative are subject to change without prior notice, if necessary, to keep the Cooperative policies in compliance with State and Federal laws and/or with rules and regulations established by the Board of Trustees of Marlboro Electric Cooperative.
Marlboro Electric Cooperative reserves the right to change fees, service charges, policies and practices, of whatever kind, affecting members. The provisions of this site or any printed materials distributed by the Cooperative, do not constitute a contract, express or implied, between any member and Marlboro Electric Cooperative or its Board of Trustees.
Meter base specifications and requirements must be met in order for Marlboro Electric to connect your power.
The requirements and specifications are as follows:
- It is important to provide access to Marlboro Electric equipment at all times. This includes the meter we have installed at your service location. Should something go wrong, our servicemen should be able to access your meter 24/7.
- If you want to keep your meter in a secure area that is locked, you should obtain this specific lock from Marlboro Electric.
- Shrubs and other plants must be planted at least three feet from the meter. For safety reasons, dogs and other pets also need to be kept away from the area in which the meter is located.
- Marlboro Electric uses solid state digital meters that are read daily. Devices inside the substations communicate with meters to gather information and relay it to the cooperative office; your account is billed monthly accordingly.
There are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you.
1. A seal is on every electric meter owned by Marlboro Electric, as shown to the right:
- Co-ops often use color-coded seals, like the ones pictured, on meter bases. Colors can indicate active or closed accounts, or meters where tampering is suspected. If a seal is cut, it often indicates power theft, and fines may apply.
- Unauthorized tampering with a Marlboro Electric meter is against the law in South Carolina. Only authorized cooperative personnel have the right to cut the seal and pull the meter. If you cut the seal and pull the meter, you face fines, costs, and possible criminal prosecution.
- When a co-op employee installs a meter, it is installed on de-energized service. Pulling the meter when your service is energized can cause an electric arc capable of inflicting serious injury, blindness, burns, and sometimes death.
2. We understand that home emergencies and repairs can require meters to be disconnected, but we ask that you please inform us when this needs to occur. If you need to have electrical work performed, a serviceman needs to be scheduled to pull your meter. Please call our office during normal business hours and we can set this up for you. Also, if anyone does work in the fuse box or meter base, the service must be reinspected by the county inspector. As a reminder, only a licensed professional electrician should be doing such work.
3. Be sure to notify Marlboro Electric when you install additional large appliances or equipment, just in case your service needs upgrading.
We appreciate your willingness to comply with our safety requirements so that we can better ensure the safety of all our members and neighbors!